Google

Sunday, October 08, 2006

 

Double angst for frustrated Gerrard



Not only did Gerrard come closest to giving England victory in the Euro 2008 qualifier with a thunderous late shot which crashed back off the bar, he also picked up a booking which rules him out of Wednesday's crucial trip to Croatia.
And, given the Zagreb encounter arguably represents the toughest test for Steve McClaren's men as they bid to overcome the first setback of their new coach's reign, Gerrard made no attempt to conceal his disappointment.
"England against Croatia is a great fixture," he said.
"As a player, you want to be involved in all the big games, so I am going home really frustrated, not just with not getting three points but also missing the Croatia game.
"I will be cheering the boys on from home. Hopefully, they will turn in a good performance and get the result."
Gerrard revealed he quizzed referee Markus Merk about the second-half challenge on Goran Pandev which earned him the second caution of England's qualifying campaign.
Amazingly, the German official agreed Gerrard had played the ball but confirmed the Liverpool player had been penalised for his follow through.
"I was really disappointed with the referee's decision," said the 26-year-old midfielder.
"I told him I got the ball and he agreed with me but said the momentum took me into the player."
Gerrard almost made amends for his misdemeanour after being teed up by Shaun Wright-Phillips six minutes from time, only for his evening to end in even more frustration.
"I need a change of luck," he said.
"I have already hit the woodwork four or five times this season.
"I hit the shot well, but maybe I hit it a little too well. Sometimes, you mis-hit them and they go in."

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?