Google

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

 

Roberto Carlos welcomes Marcelo

Real Madrid's veteran left-back Roberto Carlos has welcomed the recent arrival of fellow Brazilian Marcelo at the Bernabeu.
Real Madrid left-back Roberto Carlos has welcomed the arrival of Marcelo as it will allow him to reduce his workload.
The 33-year-old has been a fixture for the Spanish giants since his arrival from Internazionale in 1996 and has admitted to feeling the strain in recent times.
But the purchase of his long-term replacement from Fluminense will give him the breather he believes he needs every now and again.
"I will finally have a player to play in my place sometimes," he told GloboEsporte.com.
"I've played more than 560 matches for Real Madrid and more than 100 for the national team. It will be very good to have him here (in Madrid).
"It is very difficult to maintain a high level when you play all the matches in a season."
Roberto Carlos is Madrid's longest-serving overseas player and he has revealed that he is close to agreeing to extend his stay to a dozen years.
"Everything is arranged," he said. "I'm very happy to conclude my European career at Real Madrid."
When he finally severs his ties with the nine-time European champions, the former Palmeiras man wants to finish his career back in his homeland.
He added: "I still think of playing in Brazil. I would like Santos to be the team as I'm fan of them, but I still have two more years to decide."
After the World Cup in Germany, in which Brazil were eliminated at the quarter-finals, Roberto Carlos hung up his international boots and the Brazilian Football Confederation is rumoured to be organising a farewell game for him and fellow veteran defender Cafu.
"I haven't thought about that really. If I am invited, I'd accept with pleasure", he said.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?